05 August 2008

Fresh Spinach and Tomato Omelet

Very easy, full of summer flavor, and oh so good for you.

One of my 'things' is to have a summer garden. Not a big one, mind you, for I am a bit lazy in the Tidewater heat. Spinach and tomatoes are as prevalent as cucumber and peppers, and they are coming out of our ears right about now. Using our fresh produce up needs a dash of daily inspiration. Here's breakfast this morning.



Enough eggs for 2 apiece
1-2 ripe red tomatoes
1-2 green onions chopped (use the green part, too)
a handful of fresh spinach leaves, no stems
a bit of shredded cheddar cheese (I get a bit less than a handful)
sprinkling of dried basil, salt and pepper to taste
a couple of spoons of fresh ricotta cheese
for Dad, a few dashes of Texas Pete hot sauce on the finished plate.
Preparation

Blanche and peel a couple of tomatoes, then dice. Add some olive oil (or around here, a spoon of bacon grease) to a skillet and bring it up to a medium-high heat.
Add the chopped green onions and fresh spinach to the skillet and sweat them down for about 2-3 minutes. Space them out with a spatula so there is spinach all through the omelet.
Add 2 slightly beaten eggs and rotate the skillet a little so that the egg goes all around the bottom. Sprinkle basil , salt and pepper to taste.
I like my eggs done, so I flip the whole thing like a pancake when the bottom is set (after about 1-2 minutes) and allow the other side to cook. If you like yours unflipped, just don't flip it and continue...

Put some diced tomatoes and cheddar cheese down the center and fold over. Take the skillet off of the heat.
Let it continue to melt the cheese for another minute, and slide it on a plate.
Add a dollop of cool ricotta cheese on the side with some toast and coffee.
Make a fresh one for everyone, or maybe share one with a beloved.


I shared mine with a beloved. Meet Ginger.
Of course, I didn't let her get any of the onions, since they are bad for dogs to eat.
I'm off to Courtland to visit with the Queen of Greenthumbria, my Master Gardner friend and dear to my heart.
AAroooooOOOO
See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails