11 August 2008

Love - It's What's For Dinner...Heart-shaped Meatloaf

Nothing brings my crew to the table faster than homestyle cooking. When G-Man asked what was for dinner and I replied, "meatloaf", I had a request I get from time to time. He wanted to know if I would make it into a heart shape like I did for Valentine's Day (or birthday or anniversary, sometimes). I didn't see why not, so that's what we did. This is comfort food, pure and simple with no frills or experimentation.

Moms Meatloaf
2 - 2 1/2 lbs of ground beef
1 small - medium onion, chopped fine
1 small - medium green bell pepper chopped fine
1 slightly beaten egg
2 Tbsp each of your favorite worchestershire sauce, steak sauce, and ketchup.
Salt and Pepper to taste - I use about 1 tsp each

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350ยบ F and spray a large casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Now for the down and dirty - By hand, mix all ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly blended. Gather the mass up into a ball and place in the middle of the casserole dish. Shape into a heart, or whatever your heart's desire.
Bake for about 45 minutes, and then take out to drizzle ketchup on the top right from the squeeze bottle. I made a crosshatch pattern this time. Put it back in the oven under a low broil for about 10 minutes or until the ketchup is thickening or carmelizing a bit. There's no shame in using ketchup in a recipe, and don't let anyone tell you there is.
Take out of oven and let rest for 2-3 minutes, and then cut into slices about an inch thick. Tonight I served ours with mashed potatoes and peas.
Look for my killer mashed potato recipe soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails